Friday, December 4, 2009

Young Friends/Bookends


From day one, the One Came Home set was filled with young people. While I like to think that Willy and I have our own youthful approaches to our art, I am very attentive to my Social Security earnings. It was heartening to see so many young folks there, throwing themselves into the fray of filmmaking, many with limited experience but a sincere desire to help in any way they could. All with a desire to learn. Some were college students, some had just graduated, some had an interest in all-things creative, and others were there just wanting to help.


While One Came Home was never conceived as a non-profit endeavor, we knew that we were going to have to count on some unpaid, and even more underpaid, people to help us out if we were going to get One Came Home completed within our limited budget and pay back investors and make money enough money to send us into another film project. Not counting those who lent cars, provided locations, and offered us props and more, there was a slew of young people who served as volunteers or very close to it. They were valuable additions. Let me mention a few here:


Mallory McGhee: From the first day on the set, at the very first scene, Mallory stepped up and took on a very important role - script supervisor. We had overlooked this crucial role in our planning, and in so many ways I am glad we did make this mistake. Had we "hired" someone, we would never have had the chance to meet this young U of M student. Mallory was rarely absent from the set, and when she was, she was missed. And, from her comments, she missed the set. "Oh, I have to work. I would so much rather be here." But those days were rare, thank goodness. Mallory was focused and she was thorough. After the final day, Mallory provided Willy a complete breakdown of the scenes and the shooting sequences, complete with notes and comments. They would be extremely valuable as he began to edit. What a treasure we had in Mallory.


Matt Bearden: The first day on the set offered me my first real introduction to Matt. I had only met him once to take a picture of him and Willy for a publication I worked with several years ago. But, through his occasional visits to his dad's studio and the days on the set, I came to discover that Matt was another one of those quiet, multi-talented folks in the world who simply make their own paths. Already a fine songwriter with a unique voice, Matt impressed me with his down to earth kindness, quiet, and dry wit. Seems like there's something in the gene pool there.


Ryan Howell: I have known Ryan's dad for over thirty years, and I had only met Ryan once some fifteen or so years ago. He was just a kid. He's grown up now, and came to OCH with a college degree and limited experience, but with a desire to learn and with all the intelligence and wry outlook that I know from his father. I watched Ryan as he was punished on the first day by the heat. Even Ryan admitted to me that after that first day, he had no idea that filmmaking was such a physical job. I knew what he was talking about; I'd had such jobs in my younger days. But, he stuck with it. I'm not sure I would have done the same. And he watched. And he learned. His confidence grew daily.


Alex Smythe: I didn't have the chance to get to know Alex as well as some of the other young folks on the set, but what I did see of him impressed me. What a hard worker! The most vivid memory I have of Alex is of his crawling all over that 1935 Ford pickup truck used by Harley the Postman, making sure we got the shot and that everyone and everything was secure as we moved down that little Mississippi back road. His dedication was written all over him in sweat. Those details are never forgotten, Alex.


Joe Fragale: Where would we have been without the ever-present Joe? Maybe Rachel would have found someone to assist her. Maybe we would have found someone else to keep us smiling. Maybe we would have found someone else to be the recipient of a birthday whipping (one that I suspect he will never forget), and maybe we would have found someone else to make our final group shot on the cabin porch so memorable under moonlight on that bright sunny day. (You'll have to ask Joe about that one.) Like Mallory, like Matt, like Ryan, like Alex, Joe is destined to make a name for himself wherever he chooses to go, be it the world of film or some other path.


Incidentally: Matt, Ryan, and Joe teamed up with Alex Smythe to complete an entry film into the Lil Film Fest a week or so after we wrapped One Came Home. From what I hear, the film was an amazing little piece of work for three guys who just happened to really get to know each other about one month prior.


Bonds are developed on film sets, aren't they. And, whether they knew it then, these folks made a lasting impression on one old man who watched and witnessed their work, wit, and willingness day in and day out.


By the way, I'm saving a future blog for two of my favorite ladies of the set, Maggie Bearden and Anna Bearman, our makeup ladies.


No comments:

Post a Comment